05 November 2009

Remember Remember the Fifth of November

Many of you have asked what New Zealanders do for Halloween. Since we opted to go hiking that day, I didn't have much to report. However, I think you'll enjoy learning about Guy Fawkes Night! I first heard of this tradition when we were in England a few years ago, but I had forgotten until we turned on the news this evening. No wonder everything seemed to be on fire today...

The night of November 5th, celebrated in the UK and certain former British colonies, marks something that happened in London during the wee hours of that day in the year 1605. An ambitious fellow named Guy Fawkes, along with 13 of his friends, decided to take action against the anti-Catholic laws and practices at work in Britain. Using 36 barrels of gun powder, they planned to blow up parliament, along with His Majesty King James I. The plan--called the Gunpowder Plot--was foiled, however, and the conspirators executed.

Guy Himself

Villagers, learning that their king had been saved, lit bonfires in celebration. Commemoration of this event was mandated by British law until 1859 and still continues today. Modern traditions include setting off fireworks, lighting bonfires and tossing a Guy effigy on top, singing songs, and eating treats. Guys Fawkes Night was even celebrated in Colonial America until our own gracious George Washington banned the practice due to its anti-Catholic sentiment (well, ok, the pro-British part too).

However, as I sit typing and watching fireworks explode over the tree tops, I suspect the rambunctious youth lighting them below are pondering neither Catholicism nor Britain, but only the sheer pyromaniac ecstasy shared by all boys around the world.


Great photo from wikipedia, showing a boy with his Guy effigy

paddy patterson from Ayr, Scotland


Remember, remember the Fifth of November,

The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,

I know of no reason

Why the Gunpowder Treason

Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent

To blow up the King and Parli'ment.

Three-score barrels of powder below

To prove old England's overthrow;

By God's providence he was catch'd (or by God's mercy)

With a dark lantern and burning match.

Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring. (Holla)

Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!