06 February 2010

Activities & Entertainment

We're thoroughly enjoying summer, which has finally arrived, and now that we're more than settled with basic infrastructure, we're branching out in our activities. Last week, we had ourselves a trek downtown to get connected with civilization. Jeremy even shaved and put on a collared shirt. We parked our car, and Jeremy strode with purpose toward the Select Recruitment agency, while I click-clacked after him in heeled sandals.

A few blocks in, I click-clacked right into the NZ Fight & Fitness Academy, and Jeremy continued down to town center. I told the girl at the counter to sign me up for jiu jitsu, and to do it quickly before I changed my mind. I even ordered a gi (you know, the robe and baggy pants) on the spot. During my last year back at home, I was training in Krav Maga, in which time occurred such notable events as me shoving an instructor across the gym, much to his delight, as well as me learning how to forward-dive over an obstacle and grab a gun on the other side while going into a forward roll and landing standing up. Since I regularly serve as a stunt double in action films, I was very glad to learn this.

I couldn't find Krav here in Dunedin, so I figured I'd round out my fight game with a little wrestling. I still feel a bit goofy rolling around the mat, clueless in a blue robe, but we'll see what I can pick up after a few months. My goal is to choke out one of the Australian guys after a little more practice.

My Lovely Gi Flaps in a Summer Breeze

I met Jeremy back on the sidewalk. He had registered with Select for jobs in the IT field. They said they'd call him if they found a match but that things are slow right now, so he's not expecting the phone to ring off the hook. Meanwhile, he's also registered with Volunteer Otago, for the possibility of multiple volunteering opportunities around the Peninsula, including helping to re-vegetate a harbor island with native plants, and patrolling the beaches telling tourists to leave the penguins alone! As the signs say, "Penguins need privacy. If you see one...hide." Jeremy takes this very seriously, and has become proficient at crouching in dune grass.


At home, we still have our various pursuits. Jeremy just finished doing our taxes. Between our move and my business, this one wins most complicated return ever! He's also dabbling in some artwork, and has become fully certified in a number of culinary specialties. His grilled cheese sandwiches are are truly outstanding!


I'm learning some Adobe software programs, hemming a piece of black wool for a blanket, and reading a large book by a 16th-century theologian and philosopher.

Despite this whirlwind of activity, we still make time to watch a TV show or movie in the evening. I wanted to share our latest viewing adventure with you, which qualifies as one of the scariest things that's ever happened to me. While shopping online for Star Wars paraphernalia (I suspect), Jeremy discovered the 1978 blockbuster, "The Star Wars Holiday Special," in which Luke, Han, Leia, and the gang celebrate Life Day.


It's a two-hour treat, in which the first segment provides a look at Chewie's nuclear family at home in their living room waiting to begin Life Day festivities. This includes a full fifteen minutes of Wookiee-Speak dialog--that's right, a serious of subdued grunts, howls, and yowls--which you can imagine is very enlightening.

I won't spoil any more of this Lucas classic for you; it's loaded with nuggets! Please note, however, that I do not recommend this show for children under the age of 18. The risk of permanent psychological damage to those still in their formative years is significant.

Click here to view The Star Wars Holiday Special.