(written Saturday, October 10th 2009)
Throughout this week, I've received numerous complaints about jealous feelings being instigated by the photos I sent out. Some recipients even threatened to block my email address due to severe effects. I thought we should take some time out to reflect on some aspects of New Zealand life that are the same or worse than life back home, so that some of you can start to feel better. Please review the lists provided below:
Aspects of Dunedin Life that Match Northern Virginia Life
- They have cloudy rainy days too.
- They get cold, dreary, and snowy winters.
- The Warehouse ("where everyone gets a bargain") is just as scary as Wal-Mart.
Aspects of Dunedin Life that are WORSE than Northern Virginia Life
- Most goods and services are more expensive than at home.
- And wages are much lower.
- You have to buy official Dunedin City Council trash sacks at the grocery store for $11 a five-pack. (no independent thinking with respect to trash bags)
- Central heat is a modern marvel and only available in select homes.
- Rental homes with visible mold on the walls and carpets are considered fine.
In addition to all these reflections, I've provided you some photos of the day, which we'll call "The Grumpy Walk."
In hopes of your recovery and return to normalcy,
Marisa





